Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The one about the procedure....

Well, I did have a procedure yesterday, but not the one I went it for. Do to details, that most of you don't want to read about, I ended up having a D and C. You can look that up yourself. Let's just say, I got cleaned out. LOL Anyway, I am a little sore. My neck hurts today and a friend told me that is from the breathing tube that was down my throat. I'm sure my head must have been stablized, so that is probably part of the soreness. I must give glory to the Lord though, because while everything didn't go as planned, He was there with me and the staff that He provided to take care of me was so sweet.
The nurses had a hard time putting in my IV. In fact, I got poked five times before they got the IV in. Now, before they tried each IV insertion, they numbed me. I totally believe that helped, because then I didn't feel the "digging" in feeling of them trying to get into my viens. So, I tried to make them as comfortable as possible. The nurse told me that my skin didn't look as tough as it was. I thought that was funny. A friend told me later that smokers tend to have tougher skin and so I've been questioned to the fact of, if I'm a closet smoker. I am not. :-) But that was something to laugh about. I have some good bruises on my arm and hand from the iv attempts. But like I said, they didn't hurt nearly as bad as if they hadn't numbed me before.
I vaguely remember going into the actual operating room. I vaguely remmeber scooting over on the table. Then that's it from the operating room. I woke up in recovery and heard Doctor Zigenbein say that they couldn't do the ablation but they did a D& C instead. Then I went fuzzy again. I remember having the breathing tube in my throat and then I remember it being out, but I don't remember them taking it out. The first thing I remember saying was I was "I'm cold", and they wanted me to make an appt, with Doctor Z and I remember saying, "not Wednesday afternoon." The nurse gave me water and ice and some juice as I was coming out of the fog. She put warm blankets on me and then put this machine hose under my blankets that blew in hot air. It felt so good to get warm. My blood pressure and temp was ok and she bascially dressed me while I was on the table. It was pretty funny with her working around my IV and then me just being "out of it" Then I remember her saying she was going to move me to the recliner and I didn't say anything, but in my mind I was thinking, my legs still feel like jello and I don't know how I can do that. But I did with her help. She was one of the best nurses. Very upbeat and just so helpful and good about explaining each step of what I would do next. Good nurses are truly a special gift. I don't know that I have the patience or guts to do the job, but boy I'm so thankful for those that do.
My friend Susanne accompanied me yesterday morning and she stayed with me last night. They wanted an adult to be at the house with me since I had gone under. So that was so good of her husband to let her stay with me. She fixed me soup and served me and just sat and talked with me. She is such a sweet friend to me.

The kids enjoyed my "loopiness" yesterday. They laughed at me. I don't really feel that I was that loopy, but they seem to think I was.

I'm moving around today. I really want to go to church tonight, but I've been advised by my oldest "sissy", that lives in Ohio, to stay home. My friend Patty also said, just to stay in. It's very cold here in NE today and since Mickey is gone and not around just to help me I'll stay home and rest. Also since I did have an outpatient surgery yesterday, I feel like maybe I should stay in. I will miss being at church. I do love my church family and pastor and wife, and I don't like not being there. However, we (marcus and I) will have a time of prayer here while Michael and Maddie are at church.

Oh and yesterday I was surprised when I got home. My friend Beth crocheted me the cutest pillow. It has crocheted flowers on it. It looks so happy. Then she brought me a flower pot and the flowers in the pot are crocheted. So they will never go bad. It is a happy little pot sitting on my coffee table. It is so sweet to have friends who care for you. I feel so humbled and undeserving but genuinely blessed.

Thanks to everyone who prayed for me. i'm tired now, so I'll go rest, but that's the update.