Sunday, September 16, 2007

The one about time to Update...

Well, I won't reveal any names, but let's just say I have been told I need to update my blog.
I guess since I haven't posted since the beginning of August, it is time.
August went by very quickly. We took a quick trip to surpise our in laws and my parents in ohio, (The kids and I did), I underwent some medical testing...everything has turned out ok, Mickey left again for an overseas trip with his work, and the Wilson girls came for a visit.


It has been a great month.
Now it is September. We have started school. Marcus is undergoing some tests for learning disabilites and possible dyslexia. This is all a very new thing for us. I have a booklet on phonemic awareness that I need to read. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around some of these new terms. In the meantime we are doing as much schooling as we can.
For Maddie and Marcus that means:

Maddie:
Language: Great Source Write Source 2000
Math: Horizons and eventually Teaching Textbooks
Writing: Understanding Writing
Bible: Bible Study for All Ages
Science: Apologia Astronomy
History: All American History (Bright Ideas Press) vol 1
She is also doing a book and tape set on listening skills. Something I think would be good for every pre teen or teenager.

Marcus:
Bible: Same as Maddie
Grammar/Spelling: First Langauge Lessons Level 3/ Spelling Solutions
Math: Horizons
Science: same as Maddie
History: same as Maddie
Writing: Understanding Writing

They are supposed to be using the Typing Tutor cd rom on the computer and also a P.E. activity, do some type of composition work (blogging, letter writing, etc.), geography game with Mom, Current Events with God's World News. Maddie is doing some Home Ec. work also.

Michael's schedule is:
Metro: Electricity 1010
PC Troubleshooting

At home:
Math: Algebra 2 Teaching Textbooks
Literature: Movies As Literature by Kathryn Stout
History: All American History vol 1 and 2 plus extra reading
Bible: Major Bible Themes by Walvord
Life Skills notebook: This is a compliatin of workI'm having him to.
I'm also making him take a Communication elective from me.
Michael is also still taking piano lessons.

I'm praying this is a great year. I'm trusting the Lord I will become even more accountable for what my children know of HIM. That is the greatest thing I teach them....God's Word. Mickey and I have both felt that becoming an incredibly bigger tasks as we see and hear about young people falling away from the church and our Savior. So we are trying to teach more Bible at home and also not just making sure they have the head knowledge but teaching them how to apply it to their own hearts and lives. If you think about it, won't you pray with us.

Until next time....
Mary from Mary's World