Sunday, September 23, 2007

The one about the lighter side...do I have a celebrity type brother?

The kids and I recently went to Jimmy Teutschmann's football game. They won...way to go, Jim... then the kids and I had an interesting conversation after the game that carried on to the way home. It was pretty funny. That lead to the following email that I sent to my family. Pretty funny indeed....


Hi everyone. I just wanted to touch base with you to reminisce and share about a recent conversation I had with the kids.

Last night, we went to a junior high football game. Now we don't have a homeschool football team so this game was at a public school. My kids don't get to do this a lot, like we did when we were kids, so this is an exciting event and we have a lot of fun.

So, anyway, after the game I was talking to the kids about going to football games every week when I was a kid, and Michael assumed we were going to see Uncle Paul play. I told him, yes, Uncle Paul played, but first we had to go and see Uncle David play. He said to me, "Uncle David played football?"
This was quite a shock to him. He knows David is a runner, but didn't realize the athletic prowess his uncle possessed (possesses). I went on to tell him Uncle David was quite an accomplished football player. He was quite the athlete and held many records for Oak Hill in track. I said, "When he was in high school, the basketball team won the conference."
He was pleasantly surprised, but still couldn't believe that Uncle Paul wasn't the biggest football player on the field. I said, "Uncle Paul got his big growth spurt after high school...that is when he really got into lifting weights." He just couldn't imagine Uncle Paul as a small guy.

I went on to tell him how Paul wasn't the biggest man physically on campus, but did have a way with the ladies. Everyone loved his sweetness. I related how he dated one of the most popular girls in school, Debbie Crabtree.
He's grinning all the time while hearing about the exploits of Uncle Paul.

Then I went on to tell him a bit about David's high school career as I remember it. All the girls liked David. We all know that David has always been mom's favorite and it was the same with our friends....David was the football star, (we got blackberry cobbler when he scored the touch downs), all my friends thought David was just the cutest, David's team won the OVC championship while he was on the team...he was a basketball star. Then to beat all, he starred in the high school musical. He played the part of George Washington, our country's first leader in the musical, "Let George Do It." I had to sing a few lines of "Let George Do IT...He Can" for the kids then.

It was then that the startling observation was made. David Jayne was the Troy Bolton (High School Musical star) of the 70's! He was good looking, a jock, and a singer. Our brother/uncle/dad was the Zach Efron of his generation. Did Disney steal the whole idea from David???? My kids all have seen High School Musical 1 and 2 and while Michael isn't a huge fan of the musicals themselves, they are a part of our kid's pop culture. I know many of your kids or friend's kids must be into the whole craze...but just think...we knew a guy just like Troy, way back in the 70's and had the privilege of being related to him. Karis and Micah, you guys must be so proud of your dad, and how he rocks!

Grin!
Love you guys!
Mary and kids in Nebraska