Thursday, September 4, 2008

The one about my trip to Ohio...

Well, I'm home!
Two years ago, when my dad turned 75 I told him I would visit he and my mom in Ohio on his birthday every year. This year I didn't get there until the 21st, (his b-day is the 17th) but he knew I was on my way.
Mickey bought me an airline ticket as it was cheaper than buying gas for the van! I was gone from home from 8/20-8/30. It was a long time for me to be away from my family, but I had a great trip to Ohio.
My brother in law, Mike picked me up from the airport in Columbus, OH. I had been quite nervous about the flight, as I have never flown by myself. I don't at all really mind flying, but I was concerned, I would miss a plane or mess something up. When I've flown in the past without Mickey, I always had small children (now you know it's been awhile since I've flown) People have always been very gracious to me, since I had such adorable little people traveling with me. This time I knew I was on my own and I couldn't rely on their sweet faces to get me out of a jam! :-D
However, everything went smoothly. I stayed with Mike and Becky through Thursday; then Becky took me down to Southern Ohio for a time with my parents. I got to see Debbie (who lives with them), my sister Leah, her husband Mike, and boys (Nicholas, Jacob, and Brock), and my brother Tim and his wife Tonda. I also got to see my niece Marisa, her husband, Adam, and my new little niece Chloe. She took after her mother and cried every time I held her. I'm excited to see how content she will be in Uncle Mickey's arms at Buckeye Christmas. Marisa always preferred Uncle Mickey to me, and I think Chloe will be the same.
I also got to spend some time with Mickey's family. I saw almost everyone: Glenna and Homer, (my mother and father in law), my sister in law Ruth and her two boys: Noah and Malachai. I got to see P.D., Mickey's brother and his wife, April. Their two children are Parker and Aubrey and I got to spend time with them also. The kids have really grown and they were so much fun to
see. :-D
During most of this time, my kids were in CA visiting their friends the Wilson's. When scheduling everything, it wasn't really apparent to me, that the kids wouldn't be able to go with me to OH. I haven't visited my parents alone in over 21 years. So that was different, but I did enjoy it. We played Scrabble, we talked, we went out to eat, we went to Community Day at their church, and attended church services together. It was very quiet and peaceful, and so pleasant.
I missed Mickey and the kids very much and I think I will enjoy their company the next time I make the trip, but I wouldn't trade this memory for anything.