Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The one about reading aloud to my kids....

Ok, so a huge part of homeschooling is reading. We love to read great stories and my oldest son Michael was a early, fast, and voracious reader. So, I must admit I didn't read aloud to him hardly at all. But I did provide him with plenty of books and good stories.
Then came Maddie and Marcus. They are closer in age and there are so many good stories out there that I wanted them to hear and share with them. So I was committed to reading aloud more. Well, it's is a gift. There are some who are just such great readers. I procrastinated for awhile but then finally committed to learning the art of reading aloud. I still have a long way to go, but I am getting better, and the rewards are great.

My mom was one who read aloud to us and told us great stories. I loved listening to her read to us. She would read to us almost every night especially during the fall and winter months. (summer we played outside more) Our ears were trained for auditory listening by listening to the radio with my mom. I am one of seven children and we grew up in the days of polyester. (cheaper material than can make the stylish clothes of today) My mother made dresses and prom suits (the leisure suit) and all sorts of clothing items for us. She can sew anything and she would have the radio on while she sewed. Debbie and I would go up on her bed while she sewed (her machine was in her bedroom) and we'd lay on the bed and talk and just listen to the radio. We listened to Stories of Great Christians, and I especially remember listening to Kitty My Rib about Martin Luther's wife.

But I digress...

I wanted to have those kinds of memories of reading to the Littles (Maddie and Marcus), so I committed to working on reading aloud. It is something that needs to be practiced for those it doesn't come easy to. I got the Sonlight catalog and used their lists of read aloud selections as a resource for picking good stories. http://www.sonlight.com/featured.html
Another good resource is this book list of 1000 books for children to read, but some I read aloud to them: http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

So, I am plugging along and it is getting easier. You can get a feel for the author's rhythm after awhile and flow along with the language of the book. It has been enjoyable to read to them and her them giggle at the funny parts or stop to make comments about the characters and how they feel or react to the things happening in the story. There is just something about having a child on either side of me while we are reading together on the comfy couch and sharing time together and a wonderful story.

My kids are getting older but they still love a good story. I've read that you shouldn't stop reading to your kids just because they are getting a little older. It's a bonding time with them, and I am experiencing it now. I love it. There are even some cute picture books we are reading through, that we didn't read through when they were younger. I've told Maddie she will be able to find stories she will really like and be able to use them when she starts to babysit more as she gets older. She can read them to the kids she's sitting with and teach them to enjoy a good story too. She is almost 13 and Marcus is 10 but they still enjoy good literature.

Currently we are reading My Father's Dragon and Prince Caspian. We just finished reading Sign of the Beaver and Dr. Dolittle. I loved Sign of the Beaver and reading it fron an adult perspective I cried at the end when the family was reunited. Of course, the kids laugh when I cry. They know mom is emotional. (smile) However, I hope I'm creating memories like the ones I have that are dear to me.... of a mom who took time out of sewing and cleaning and caring for a family of seven to read to the little kids.