Thursday, May 8, 2008

The one about learning from each other...

My son came home from his Wednesday youth meeting a couple of months ago. A new teacher had taken over their studies. I thought his comments were good and also taught him a valuable lesson. He had experienced two teachers (the one from the past and the new one) who didn't teach fluff but taught deeper things. This was something he appreciated in them both.

However their teaching styles are very different. Their illustrations are very different. Their personalities are very different. Yet he was able to appreciate them both and accept them for who they were.

I think this is a good lesson. We can learn a lot from each other on this pilgrimage of life, even though some folks are very different from ourselves. I know I have a lot of different friends who I glean and learn from. They are from different backgrounds and different family styles. Some are homeschoolers like myself who have devoted a lot of their time to being at home, while others are career women and and yet still mothers, wives, and sisters like myself. They are not carbon copies of each other or myself. I would miss out on some great blessings if I only stuck with "one type" of friend.
I was thankful that Michael is learning this lesson even at his young age. I hope he continues to stretch and learn and grow. I hope I keep stretching and learning and growing too.