Sunday, January 27, 2008

The one about Updates!

There are some (who shall remain nameless) who consider me to be a very "lame blogger" because I don't post enough. I'll say that up until the homeschool alert which I posted the other day, that I have been a "blog user". Ok, ok I admit it. However, I do love reading blogs as it gives me much to reflect upon as well as challenge my own thinking and opinions about different and varied topics. So I appreciate all you bloggers out there and your patience with me while I lurk. HAHA!

To update on a few things:
Marcus and I have finally started using the Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing Program for Reading, Spelling, and Speech (LiPS Program) and Seeing Stars books in our attempt to beat this dyslexia challenge. I've had to take Marc back to some foundational things that to many of us just come naturally. I still need to read the book, Overcoming Dyslexia: A New and Complete Science-Based Program for Reading Problems at Any Level - Sally Md Shaywitz. However, I did get the training to implement the LiPS and SS programs with Marcus, and so we have begun. I went through the training in early November. It was an intensive two day session with a few other ladies and our educational therapist. I am not trained to do this teaching with other children or certified in any way, but I have been taught, so I can teach Marcus.
We decided to wait to begin this instruction after the many breaks that would have to be taken during the holiday season. It's best to have consistency for this. So, now we have begun and are progressing a long. So far it has been so good. I would covet prayers as I teach and as Marcus.

Dyslexic chlidren are smart, but their brains are wired a little differently. So, many things that come naturally with the "run of the mill phonics programs", do not click with dyslexics. We have learned that Marcus doesn't have phonemic awareness. So we are going back to the very basics. This is a multi-sensory program. We introduced parts of the brain and how different parts did different functions. Then transitioned to using the different parts our of our brains to learn these sounds. We use our eyes as well as our ears. The way we form the sounds we hear...what our lips and tongue are doing as the sounds are produced.
Tomorrow we will be tracking sounds and tracking a lot as we progress through the program. It's actually primary if I am going to teach Marcus to decode words.

What is so amazing is the great amount of research that has been put into putting this program together. I am almost overwhelmed as I learn about new things; to discover so many things that people have really put into their life's work. At times I feel very inadequate at knowing a little bit about several different subjects, but not knowing a lot about any certain subject.
But I digress....that is the update on where we are with Marcus and our journey to teach him to decode words for himself so he can learn to read fluently.

Boy! that was longer than I had originally intended it to be.
A few more updates...

Michael was hospitalized with salmonella in October. Our pediatrician was excellent in flagging that it was something that needed to be dealt with and not put off until later. Mickey was gone, and the Lord through L-3 brought him home just when I needed him. Praise God!
Our dear friends the Wilsons came to visit at the same time and they were wonderful to have around. Oh to live close to each other again ....maybe someday!

We had a wonderful Buckeye Christmas celebration in Ohio and besides celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas, we celebrated my niece Karis's graduation from high school with everyone. You can go to my facebook and see pictures of all the fun. We even taught my family how to play Mafia at this time. What a hoot! They are addicted as I am. LOL

We also got to see the new Knipp editions to the family. Little Aubrey and little Noah.... the new neice and nephew. Aubrey was born to Mickey's brother Paul David and his wife April. Noah was born to Mickey's sister Ruth and her husband Nick. They are too cute!!! Parker and Malachai are both being good big brothers to their new little siblings.

The new year has come and the we are still doing school and serving at Heartland Baptist Church, HBC. We love our church family and friends here and are so thankful for them.

OH yea, and I've had a few little medical "issues" that have also kicked me in the rear and I am now back on a regular exercise/eating program. Maddie is the best gym partner and has kept me going. Yea Maddie!

Also, for those who know me well, you know that I am about 50-75% gray as far as haircolor goes. Well, I was letting all the gray come out, but I grew tired of people asking me if I was tired. I am convinced that the gray hair was not helping, so I have colored my hair once again. It has been interesting to hear the comments that have come from this. I enjoy them. My husband's comment was the funniest, as he said he thinks he will grow a ponytail now. We'll see.

So, to anyone out there who reads the blog... you have been updated. I will try to do better at posting. I am not a great writer or even a great thinker but I will pour my thoughts and ramblings into the pot. I hope we can all make life a little more interesting and fun for each other.

Grace to you!
~Mary (Ann)