Friday, April 19, 2013

Quinoa Salad

I love to collect recipes.  Here's a new one I just got from my friend Deb. (Who is also the lady that does my hair) 

Quinoa Salad
1 Cup Uncooked Quinoa (cook according to package directions)
Green onion
Small diced tomato
Half of an orange pepper diced
Cilantro
1-2 cans drained/rinsed black beans
Mix well in a medium bowl.
In a separate small bowl, make dressing:  juice of two limes, 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1-2 teaspoons cumin, salt to taste. (f you want some pop...add some red pepper flakes)
Mix the dressing well and pour over salad and stir well. Store in the fridge. 

Quinoa is actually a seed but is considered and treated like a whole grain. It is high in fiber and high in protein.  I normally eat it warm.  I cook it in broth and sometimes add mixed veggies in with it.  I eat it as a side dish.  However, Deb had some of this quinoa salad last week when I was at the shop and gave me a taste. I didn't think I'd like it served cold, but I love this salad. 
Maybe you can give it a try.